Memorable Eats From Ipoh (2011)December 29, 2011 | 27,766 views
Is it that time of the year again to reflect on what’s good and what’s not? Yes it is.
Ladies and gentlemen, are you ready for Motormouth’s TOP 10 LIST of Memorable Eats from Ipoh in 2011? Dive in.
1. Hong Kee’s “Shat Keh Mah” (and Egg Tarts) – One Word; Egg-cellent.
2. Canning Garden Popiah Uncle – Weekends-Only (Grumpy) Fling
3. Kacang Puteh Story – And There’s Nothing WHITE About This
4. JJ Swiss Rolls – Swirling Desirable Rolls
5. Nancy Chong Cakes – A Grandma Nursing the Sweet-Toothed Ipoh Folks
6. Lim Ko Pi – Preserving the “Old Town” in its Essence
7. Chong Chew Hakka Food @ Kanthan – A Gem That’s Best Left Untouched
8. Sin Eng Heong Kaya Puffs – The 50 Years Legacy
9. Tammy’s Kitchen – Bringing Quiche to Another Level
10. Seng Kee & 189 Gunung Rapat “Heong Peng” (Coconut Husk-broiled Biscuits)
*The list above was compiled in no particular order.
In 2011, I have written 174 posts on this blog. More than half of the reviews were on food finds in Ipoh; quite a significant number of the reviews were rehashed takes on the good old classics. No, this was not a decoy to hide the fact that I was losing ideas on places to write about. In fact, there are countless others that I have planned to visit yet there has been more hindrance now than ever.
Consider the repeated posts as refreshers; to inject renewed vigour into places that I love, and memorable gems that should be immortalized into the Hall of Fame of Ipoh Food.
I know some of you might not have heard of more than half of the places listed up there. Especially the tourists from other states or if you have been away from Ipoh for far too long. Blame it on the over-hyped Bean Sprouts Chicken and White Coffee; eclipsing the bare potential these stalwart eateries have.